Sunday, September 16, 2007

Major Adrenaline Rush

Well our Saturday started out peacefully and fun. Mike left in the morning for his guitar playing with Joe so the kids and I ran some errands and did grocery shopping. My mother in law, and two sister in laws showed up around 12:30 and we all went to lunch at Luca's (our favorite local authentic Italian restaurant). Around 2 Mike came home and we all spent the afternoon making two beautiful picture boards of Frank and all the family for the Memorial service on Wednesday. I broke out my creative memories kit which was helpful as we cropped, cut and rounded out a lot of the pictures to look nicer. Lindsey just watched a movie and Rachel helped as she gathered all the scraps to make her self a collection as she called it. About 5:40 Mike left for a meeting and we were wrapping things up. We were all standing in the kitchen and Rachel kept asking me to sharpen her pencil. The pencil sharpener is in the garage and we always have the garage open on the weekends. So anyway, I asked her to wait until we finsished talking. She came back a few minutes later and she had done it herself. Then, I was walking everyone out and I said, "Where's Rachel?". First we checked Aysha's house (her friend) and she wasn't there. We all went looking through the house and yelling but no Rachel. Outside we went, some on feet and Michele in her car. It was about five minutes later and I really started to panic so I knocked on all the neighbor's doors and had the whole block outside looking with me. At this point I was completely freaked out, crying and every senario in the book was running through my head. Finally I decided to call 911 so I ran in the house (yes my achilles is hurting like hell today) and I passed the hall closet. I had already looked in there as Lindsey and Charlene did as well. I opened it again and Mike's coat was in the floor behind the vaccum cleaner but this time I reached down to pick it up and felt my daughter's head. My first reaction was that of fear and anger and I sat there crying just right in her face telling her she could never ever do something like this again and when someone called her name she was to respond...yada yada. Then I just held her as she was crying hysterically and saying sorry mommy over and over. When I talked with her later she said she was playing hide and seek with her imaginary friends. These would be the friends that I have to hold in the grocery store:) I want my child to know it was wrong and instill in her that she cannot do anything like that ever again. However, the stress in my home lately has been kinda high and she is little so I don't know if she was just reacting how she could as she has never done anything like this before. Anyway, I can breathe a lot better today.

2 comments:

flo said...

MJ did that to me in a store. I was outside running around the parking lot, stopping cars from leaving until I looked in them, etc. When we found her, I sat in the middle of the floor in the store and cried.

author said...

Oh my goodness, Tiffani! I would've been just terrified if that had happened to me with any of my children, or with Rachel while we were out with her somewhere. My God, the panic that must've been going through your heart at that moment! I doubt very much that she'll EVER do that again.

One of my former Cubbies (Awana) did that two years ago. She decided to hide in a tiny closet in the Pastor's office, unbeknownst to her parents or the rest of the people at the church.

We were all in a panic, rushing around, calling her name. She thought it was great fun when she was "found"...until she saw her mother's face. Poor Kelli was hysterically crying, she'd been so scared.